Tuesday, February 23, 2010

olympic update

CAN vs. USA men's hockey=10.6 million viewers=the most watched television event in Canadian history
And I was one of those millions. Me, the non-sports fan. Well, I guess if for nothing else, I can say that the experience made me part of a historic event.
But...is this really our game if we lost 5-3?

On a much happier note:Ice Dancing!!
The Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White did a beautiful routine to Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera. But Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, took ice dancing olympic gold with a melting performance.
This reminded me of a moment when I was a child and I saw the first time a world-class female athlete did a complete back flip successfully on the ice in competition. A black woman. It struck me so much, like I was witnessing history.
I felt similarly today when Ashleigh McIvor won gold in the women's ski cross event. It was the debut of the sport in the olympics, and our Canadian won gold!

But my favourite olympic moment so far, has been the strolling, beer-chugging celebration by gold-winnig John Montgommery

No comments:

Post a Comment